Cheeeeez!

Cheeeeez!

An Orphan No More- Home Where He Belongs

An Orphan No More-  Home Where He Belongs
Christian David Snyder!!!!!!!!

The Snyders minus 1

The Snyders minus 1

Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Judgement Day Part 1

Today was our first day of court and it lasted a little more than an hour. We were told that this was the most important of the two court dates. The basic objective for today was for the judge to read all of our documents out loud in the presence of a social worker, prosecutor, secretary and orphanage representative. Jim and I just sat there quietly most of the time, with the exception of answering a few questions. But most of the time, the judge would read our documents out loud and a translator would translate for us into English. If we had any corrections or concerns, we were to verbalize them. The judge was to make sure we had all appropriate documents and that she was satisfied. Fortunately, only one item was found missing. Our coordinator was already aware of this void and we will bring it to the final session tomorrow. So all went well! Thank you, Jesus!

It is more than a little intimidating, sitting there on a wooden bench right in front of a judge. It was, of course, very formal. Just another new life experience- both Jim and I were quiet, solemn and nervous. As each document is reviewed, you wonder if it acceptable or if something is going to come up. All of our references from friends and church representatives were read aloud for all to hear. AHHHH! I have never been in court before as the one being examined and evaluated. As I sat there sweating a bit, I thought of Judgment Day- when God, Himself, will be reviewing events from my life and choices that I have made. I pictured myself, sitting there… sweating profusely.. cringing at what He would have to report. It reminded me of how glad I am to have a Savior who has stood in my place and has taken the punishment that I so deserve.

After court, we went back to our hotel to change and to take a break. I had a great talk with my parents (sorry again about that- Jim forgot it was 1 am in the morning when he called). Then Jim and I bundled up and took a walk. We so much needed to get out and stretch our legs!!!! But did I mention it was cold here? BRRR! It was below zero so we didn’t last too long. But we walked a few blocks down the street to a pedestrian walkway. We found some lunch, some cookies (both of us were craving chocolate) and just enjoyed being out a bit. As we were rushing back to the hotel, Jim laughed and said, “If our son ever wonders if he would have been happier living here, I am bringing him back to Russia in the winter. He will run back home!”

Next, we were able to return to the orphanage to see our little guy. We played with him for about 2 hours. For the first time, he cried when he saw us. Not quite the reaction I was hoping for… but I can’t imagine how hard this is for him. With the help of our translator, we were able to calm him down pretty quickly. He’s a brave little boy- truly.

It actually turned out to be probably our best visit with him yet. He started to get more comfortable with us. He started talking more (actually I don’t know if it is toddler babble or if he is speaking Russian- I can’t tell the difference). And I started to see a sparkle in his eye. For the first time, a little sparkle. He has always had beautiful eyes. But puppy dog, sad eyes. I started to see a shine in those eyes that was new. And he laughed. Really belly laughed for the first time. He let me tickle him and hold him outside down… he started to tease and giggle just like any other child. It was…..BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!!

At dinner time, I carried him down to his room where all the other children were seated quietly at a little table, waiting to eat. When I left, he had a smile on his face. It was a contented smile…

We just came back from dinner and IT WAS GOOD! Whoopee! Jim and I are not the most adventurous with meals, plus with all that is going on…well it doesn’t give you a huge appetite, period. But we shared a great meal that we both enjoyed. Plus, they were having some sort of a reception in the room we were eating, so a musician had been hired to play the keyboard. So we ate and listened to a little music….What a bonus for our special day!

Jim and I would sincerely appreciate your prayers for court tomorrow. The second day is what they call "The Speaking Day." It is the day in which Jim and I, individually, stand before the judge and answer questions. I am told that each of us will be questioned for about 30- 45 minutes. Can you imagine? Standing in front of a Russian judge while someone translates and the judge asks you question after question? I can't imagine! But... I guess I will experience it first hand tomorrow. Did I mention that I was nervous??? But I have prayed and will continue to pray for just the right words and for the judge to see our hearts. I know My Heavenly Father will be right beside us and that nothing can block His Will from coming into fruition. In my weakness, He is strong...right!! Perfect time for me to see this. As Jim has often prayed, "Lord, be my legs so I can stand and accomplish Your Will." Friends and family- thanks for standing in the gap.

4 comments:

  1. Jim & Karen,

    I have been putting your blogs on our prayer chain. Now when I see anyone from church they ask for the latest news from you. They love your blogs and want to know when the next one will arrive. You'll have to come to church next time you are here; you have so many praying for you and loving you.

    I'm so glad that the little one has relaxed enough to laugh and cry with you. Reminded me of when we went to court with you. We were apprehensive but it was very casual. We sat at a table on the side of the court room and we could understand the language. You were almost 2 years old too.

    You remain in our prayers.
    Lots of love,
    Mom & Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Karen you are going to do great! If you can homeschool 5 kids, girl!, you can do this! :) Seriously, God is with you and Jim and you cannot mess up God's plan! Love and prayers are being sent up for you and ALL of your kiddos! Melissa, Lauren, Will & Ben

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. I can't even imagine. We will pray and I am certain, you will be fine. God, like you said, has gone before you and stands beside you. SOOO glad you got to see your little guy again! Just picture his little face and little smile and I bet you will find the courage you need!!! Love you guys!

    ReplyDelete